Do you know any big and beautiful dog crossbreed which is entirely unique from others? Russian bear dog is the hybrid breed which is quite familiar due to its beauty, bear-like looks, fluffy coat and biggest size. Yes, this is the hybrid dog breed which exactly resembles to bear.
This crossbreed has two exclusive breeds which are bear and Russian dog breed. Russian bear dogs are typically known as the Caucasian Shepherd due to its good characteristics
The Russian Bear Dog’s origin is related to Caucasus mountain region; there these dogs were mainly used to protect sheep herds from predators that comprise of packs of bears and wolves. Therefore, today we can better define this breed as the super fearlessness, protective and sheer power breed as compared to other dog’s breeds.
This is the breed very much known all over the world, so it was given various names which include:
- Caucasian Mountain Shepherd
- Caucasian Mountain Dog
- Caucasian Shepherd
- Caucasian Ovcharka
- Caucasian Shepherd Dog
The Russian bear dog is registered with the name of Caucasian Ovcharka in the United Kennel Club (UKC) on the other hand; the American Kennel Club (AKC) refers this breed as the Caucasian Shepherd Dog.
Characteristics of Russian bear dogs
- Russian bear dogs are huge in size officially they measure around 25 to 30 inches right from the shoulders, according to reports these may be even larger. These dogs’ weight ranges from 100 to 170 pounds as well as some of them grow up to 200 lbs.
- Russian bear female dogs are bit smaller than males but they are still big dogs as well as both males and females are highly aggressive towards strangers. However, Russian bear female dogs are more dangerous as they impulsively protect their puppies.
- These dogs are greatly active and this quality makes them good working dogs
- Russian bear dogs are great guard dog due to their alertness feature
- Caucasian shepherds are very concerned and loving for their close family
- These are aggressive and suspicious towards strangers
- Along with all harsh features, Russian bear dog is extremely loyal to its owner and it has all the ability to stand by till the end and protect the owner more than its life
- They are powerful, strong, quick, alert and dominant although calm is also the best feature of this breed
- They can live over 12 years however with few health risks
Russian bear dogs breeders
It is crucial to find a reputable breeder when you want to buy Russian bear dog. Russian bear dog breed is a very recognized breed in the west for so long, therefore finding a trustworthy breeder is not that much difficult.
However, to find a right breeder is always enough challenge. A right breeder must produce certificates for both parent’s eye exams and hip scores.
A good breeder will surely ask you to see the parents to estimate their general health, appearance, and temperament. While the parents will not act over friendly but they should be calm and comfortable with a stranger’s presence, this will show clear bonding with owners.