The world is full of wonders; everywhere you will see some beautiful, eye-catching and mesmerizing things. Our dogs, too love to explore these wonders, but they do it through their nose and mouth.
But the problem is, not everything they smell or eat is edible, or even good for their health. There are so many things which are prohibited for dogs to eat or smell, and some can be problematic for them, and cause some serious harm to your dog.
And when your dog eats any poisonous substance, your dog should let it come out as soon as possible. And the best way to do so is to induce vomiting in your dog.
How to Make a Dog Throw Up
There are some food and other stuff that are not edible for dogs to eat. Sometimes what happens that dogs eat food like, chocolates, grasp, or human medication which are poisonous for dogs? In such cases, it’s better for you to induce vomiting in your dog as soon as possible.
If you really think that your dog has eaten something wrong, and not behaving normally. First, concern with any veterinarian, or any toxicologist who can cause vomiting in your dog, and do not try to do it by yourself.
Whenever a dog eats something, it took three to four hour to reach from larger intestine to small intestine, so within first few hours of eating is the best time to induce vomiting, after that, either it will be of no use, or it can cause harm to your dog.
Also Read It : Stop Dog Nail Bleeding at Home- Symptoms , Causes & Cure
Now the first way of inducing vomiting in dogs is to use 3% hydrogen peroxide. Take hydrogen peroxide in an eye drop or syringe and give it to your dog. The taste of hydrogen peroxide is quite a foam and nasty, and it will cause vomiting in dogs. Repeat this dose two to three times every five minutes. And make sure that you use fresh hydrogen peroxide because if hydrogen peroxide is expired, it can be even more dangerous for dogs.
Syrup of ipecac is another vomiting inducer in dogs, but it takes a longer time in working as compared to hydrogen peroxide. One dose of ipecac is enough for dogs. A teaspoon for small dogs and a tablespoon for larger dogs is enough.
After your dog’s stomach is empty, call its veterinarian, and he will collect a sample from vomiting substance, and observe what kind of poison your dog has eaten, and according to that, he will prescribe medication.
When to induce vomiting in dogs?
Whenever you see your dog swallowed something poisonous, things like, grapes, chocolates or any corrosive material. Your dog must emit out such things before it gets to its intestine or starts to digest. There are some materials whose digestion rate is slow, and some have faster digestion rate.
If your dog is showing any symptoms of a reaction, the best way is to call any near veterinarian or any emergency pet hospital. If there isn’t any hospital nearby, then use any chemical which can cause vomiting in your dog. But make sure you have some knowledge about that substance. And try to do all these things within twenty to thirty minutes after your dog eat.
Sometimes dogs swallowed thing like rock, toy, holiday ornament, or chocolate wrappers, these things take time to digest and not hurt your dog immediately. So you can wait for some time, your dog might bring it out of its own, or in a few hours, you can call any toxicologist.
When not to let your dog vomit.
It’s not always a good idea to let your dog vomit, or induce vomiting in dogs, sometime what happen that there are some material like, pins, tacks shards of glass or plastic, needles, hooks, and so many more that your dog swallowed unconsciously, but when you try to bring it out through vomiting, it can cut your dog intestine or any other organ during its way out. In such condition, surgery is needed to let these things come out. Otherwise, it can cause toxicity in your dog’s stomach
Sometimes your dog takes acids (like bleach or drain cleaner) or alkali liquids (like, ammonia or laundry detergents), Motor oil, paint, paint thinners, and so on. When these liquids come out, they will cause even more burning, so it’s better for your pet not to vomit and instead you should call any veterinarian for proper treatment.
If your dog is having any recent medical history, or suffering from any serious disease, or is in unconsciousness, in such cases, it’s better for your dog and you to do not induce vomiting. The physical condition of your dog is very important if your dog is strong physically then there is no problem in inducing vomiting. But if the dog is not healthy, then it can cause him pneumonia or any other lungs disease.
Precautions to follow while induce vomiting.
There are some chemicals which are not suitable for your dog’s health, and they are prohibited from using. Chemicals like, (oven cleaners, battery cleaners, and lime removal products) these are corrosive in nature.
Hydrocarbons like (kerosene, gasoline, motor oil) these are easily inhaled and can cause severe lungs disease and cause pneumonia.
The other precaution which you should follow is, never put a finger in your dog’s mouth to let him vomit, it’s totally a wrong way of inducing vomiting. Never use any mustard, salt, or syrup of ipecac. All these chemicals are hazardous in nature and not suitable for your dog’s health.
You should be totally aware of your dog medical history, if a dog is suffering from any type of disease, do not try to induce vomiting, as your dog might not have the power to restrain.
Inducing vomiting in dogs is not an easy task, and it can cause some serious problem for your dog, yeah, if there is an emergency and you think that your dog has eaten any serious poisonous substance, then you can induce vomiting in the dog. But make sure you use some homemade techniques and avoid chemical substance.
Otherwise, it’s better for, both you and your dog is to concern any veterinarian.